Delaware Hunting Seasons

Delaware hunting seasons generally begin in September and run through early February of the following year. Specific seasons, based on species and method of take, begin and end on different dates throughout the year.

Delaware offers one of the longest deer hunting seasons — spanning five months — of any state in the country. Hunters are offered many different seasons with various methods of take. They are encouraged to harvest does (female deer) to help manage the size and quality of Delaware’s deer population.

Successful deer hunters who wish to donate venison to those in need can participate in the Delaware Hunters Against Hunger program.

State law allows for Sunday deer hunting during established deer hunting seasons on private lands, with landowner permission, and on designated publicly owned lands.

The DNREC Division of Fish and Wildlife provides many hunting opportunities on state wildlife areas, including special opportunities for migratory bird hunting in September. Wildlife area maps and rules are available online and for download.

Detailed information on hunting seasons and rules can be found in the Delaware Hunting and Trapping Guide.

Specific Seasons and Bag Limits

Licensing and Other Requirements

A Delaware hunting license or License Exempt Number (LEN) is required to hunt. Most waterfowl hunters require a Delaware waterfowl (duck) stamp and a federal migratory bird (duck) stamp.

All migratory game bird hunters except crow hunters, including duck and goose hunters, also need a Federal Harvest Information Program (HIP) number, which can be obtained through the DNREC ePermitting system or by calling toll free 1-855-335-4868.

Hunters using the ePermitting system should either create a profile or use the “Quick Hunting Registration” option.

Anyone born after January 1, 1967, must satisfactorily complete a basic hunter education course before obtaining a Delaware Hunting license.

Registered motor vehicles used to access designated wildlife areas owned or managed by the Division of Fish and Wildlife are required to display a Conservation Access Pass.