Listen to this page using ReadSpeaker

 Pages Tagged With: "government"

Source Water Assessment and Protection

The Source Water Assessment and Protection Program provides for the assessment and protection of sources of public drinking water from both surface water and groundwater sources in Delaware.

Contact Us

Doug Rambo 302-739-9948
   Water Supply and Allocations     

Water Conservation

Drought watches, warnings and emergencies in Delaware are declared by the Governor, with guidance from the Water Supply Coordinating Council. In a drought watch or a drought warning, voluntary conservation measures are in effect. During a drought emergency, mandatory water use restrictions are imposed. Allocated users may

Water Allocation Permitting

A water allocation permit is required for all major water withdrawals under the Regulations Governing the Allocation of Water (7 DE Admin. Code 7303). The Division of Water publishes instructions and guidance for completing a water allocation permit application. A separate permit is required for water impoundments.

Water Use Reporting

Water allocation permit holders in Delaware are required to record and report water usage each year. These reports are used by the Division of Water in long-term water supply planning and water conservation efforts. Public, industrial, irrigation, golf course, and commercial users report monthly production for each water facility (well

Water Well Licenses

All water well contractors, pump installer contractors, well drillers, well drivers and pump installers in Delaware must be properly licensed by DNREC through the Delaware Water Well Licensing Board.

Contact Us

Div. of Water Licensing 302-739-9116
Digital DNREC [button

Commercial and Government Services

The Commercial and Government Services Section serves the permitting and licensing needs of industrial, municipal and agricultural customers. Wastewater, Stormwater and Biosolids The division regulates the construction of wastewater treatment facilities including spray irrigation systems, land treatment of waste, large systems and underground injection systems. The division

Well and Water Use Permit Data

The DNREC Division of Water maintains a database of water well and water use data derived from permit applications, reports from permit holders and well completion and abandonment reports. Data are available for use by the regulated community, intergovernmental partners and the public. A full listing of past, present and

Construction of Monitor and Observation Wells

Monitor and observation wells constructed in Delaware must conform to the requirements of the Delaware Regulations Governing the Construction and Use of Wells (7 DE Admin. Code 7301). This page reiterates some of the requirements found in the regulations. It also establishes additional criteria for the design and construction of monitor and observation

Water Supply Assessment and Protection

The DNREC Division of Water oversees major water withdrawals, greater than 50,000 gallons per day, from any surface water or groundwater source in Delaware. It permits and allocates withdrawals through the Water Supply Assessment and Protection (WSAP) program. The Division permits water allocations under the Regulations Governing the Allocation of

Wastewater Operator Certification

All wastewater treatment facilities in Delaware must be operated under the direct supervision of a Delaware Licensed Wastewater Operator.

Contact Us

Div. of Water Licensing 302-739-9116
Digital DNREC Div. of Water License Fees

Wastewater Facilities

The DNREC Division of Water issues permits to construct facilities that will store, collect, convey or treat sewerage and other wastewaters. Permits are issued to safeguard the environment and ensure that the facilities are designed to manage the wastes properly.

Contact Us

Gordon Woodrow

Industrial Stormwater Runoff

The Industrial Storm Water Permitting Program is designed to prevent the contamination of storm water runoff from a facility by properly handling and storing materials.

Contact Us

Matthew Davison 302-739-9945
The Industrial Storm Water Permitting Program operates under the

Aquatic Pesticides

The application of pesticides onto Delaware surface water requires a permit from the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC). Permits for this activity are part of the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES).

Contact Us

Gavin Ferris 302-739-9946

Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO)

The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) and the Department of Agriculture jointly manage the Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO) NPDES permitting program.

Contact Us

Alexis Capes DNREC Div. of Water 302-739-9946 Chris Brosch Dept. of Agriculture, Nutrient Management 302-698-4555

Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems

Stormwater runoff from urban and industrial areas can contain harmful pollutants. To help keep these pollutants from being washed or dumped into surface waters, operators of municipal separate storm sewer systems (known as MS4s) must get a permit and develop a stormwater management program.
[panel type=”success” heading=”Contact

Individual NPDES Permits

An individual NPDES permit is tailored to a specific discharge and location. These are typically outfalls from municipal sewage treatment facilities or industrial plants that discharge to surface waters of Delaware. The NPDES permit specifies limitations, monitoring requirements, and other terms and conditions that the permittee must meet in order to be allowed to discharge.

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System

The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) regulates point sources that discharge pollutants into the state’s surface water bodies. It helps ensure that the state’s water bodies can meet their designated uses, such as providing drinking water, being safe for swimming or fishing, or supporting aquatic life.

Land Treatment of Waste

Solids generated in the treatment of sanitary wastewater are known as biosolids. Solids generated in the treatment of wastewater without a sanitary component are known as non-hazardous waste residuals. These solid products may be permitted for land application as a fertilizer and for other end uses.
[panel type=”success”

Underground Injection Control

The Division of Water reviews and permits the use of underground injection wells in Delaware.

Contact Us

Div. of Water 302-739-9948
Online Applications Div. of Water Permit Fees

Spray Irrigation Program Resources

This page provides a general interpretation of existing methods for designing spray irrigation facilities, and also considers the relative effectiveness and limitations of these facilities.

Contact Us

Marlene Baust 302-739-9948
Online Applications Div. of Water

Spray Irrigation Systems

Spray irrigation of reclaimed water has been in use in Delaware since the 1970s. Reclaimed water is water that has been recovered through the treatment of wastewater at wastewater treatment facilities. Once reclaimed water has been properly treated, it can be applied to agricultural fields, golf courses, forests, parks, roadway medians and cemeteries.

Non-Hazardous Liquid Waste Transporters

The DNREC Division of Water issues permits to Non-Hazardous Liquid Waste Transporters under the Delaware Regulations Governing the Design, Installation and Operation of On-Site Wastewater Treatment and Disposal Systems (7 DE Admin. Code 7101).

Contact Us

Div. of Water 302-739-9948
[button type=”primary” block=”true”

Groundwater Discharge Licenses

The DNREC Division of Water issues licenses for the various professions involved in designing, installing and maintaining on-site wastewater treatment and disposal systems. Licenses are granted under the state’s on-site systems regulations and with input from the On-Site Systems Advisory Board.

Contact Us

Div. of

I Am in Local Government

The Division of Climate, Coastal and Energy provides programs and assistance for local governments in Delaware. Find information on grants, rebates and sustainability help for local government.
  Find the Information You Need  

Information for Government

The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control Works with county and local governments to help improve the lives of Delaware residents, and the state’s natural resources. Wetlands, Flooding and Land Use Learn about freshwater wetlands and view wetland maps with the Delaware Freshwater Wetland Toolbox. Find out